Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Now Playing: Operation Flashpoint 2

The sun glows over the horizon. It sets a lovely backdrop to a beautiful vista of rolling meadows and tall trees. Skira is truly a beautiful island. The kind you might get on the back of a postcard or in one of those PureNZ adverts. Except this is PureSkira.

That is until the dirt starts to kick up, there are dangerous whistles as shrapnel and hot lead fly by your face, too close for comfort. Then you take cover, behind a wooden shack in the middle of nowhere and watch as your men flop down on the grass either dead or dying.


That's the situation I was left in whilst en-route to my objective. A helicopter down and pilots in need of rescue right smack in enemy territory. And the worst part was, I was only half-way there. My squad had been trekking a few clicks on foot, and when we finally came upon the last known sighting of the downed crew, we find they've moved on. Slightly dejected, we decide to head up a slightly steep grassy slope, the crew apparently in a town over the ridge.

It was my fault for having us right there in the open. Enemies appear over the hill and the shit hits the fan. Bullets start whizzing and I tell the men to hit the dirt. But the bullets get to them first and soon I'm the last one left scurrying like a cornered rat behind some tool shed and tractor. This is not good. I don't have to see around the corner to know that a few of the enemies were most likely flanking my position through the woods to the west of me. A couple of men were also laying down suppressive fire on my fortress of a shed. The wood chips are everywhere.


To top that off, I hear the sound of an enemy chopper getting closer. I press myself up against the wall as close as I can in the hopes that I could melt into it. I pull out my RPG and load a round, just in case. The chopper flies by and I try to get it in my sights. There's no lock-on for this weapon so I'm going to have to aim a little ahead and time the shot. But in the back of my mind I hope I don't even have to fire the damn thing. Thankfully, the helicopter doesn't notice me and flies by into the distance. I can breathe again.

I put away my RPG and take out my rifle. I can't count on the Chinese soldiers taking me prisoner. I've seen them shoot down anyone who isn't a friendly. I pray that this was going to be worth it. I pray that the helicopter team was still actually alive somewhere, and that they better be worth my squad and my own skin.

I whip around the corner and open fire at the men on top the hill. They are caught by surprise, and one goes down easy. The other makes a run for it backwards, and I waste a few rounds in his wake. Then I notice something darting in the woods to the west, and I quickly take cover again. Two enemy soldiers thought they could get the better of me, but their firing was off-mark. I go into prone and steady my rifle, switch to single-shot, and squeeze off rounds in measured breaths. Bang, bang, bang. Hits a guy in the leg, he stumbles and recovers behind a tree. Bang bang, hits the other one in the chest, he goes down, and after several more shots he is dead. Just me and the last guy left, hiding behind a tree.

Just you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...