Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Now Playing: Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

My gawd is this game a beaut. From the opening cutscenes to the wide Holland landscapes (at least I think it's Holland), everything is rendered in such bright pastel colors that you'd think this was hardly the place where the Nazis occupied and pillaged during World War 2. Of course, there are levels where things are burnt to the ground and fire is the beacon of death in the night... but, THE SHEEP!

Comparison to heavyweight Call of Duty is inevitable, and on the graphic front, BiA: Hell's Highway holds its own, and for some people, may even beat CoD: 5 tired-realistic environments and animation. Even if the game wants to kill your heart with intense firefights that can last for 10 to 15 minutes where no squad wants to move from out of their cover without taking a lethal risk, it's all juxtaposed with eye-candy that sooths. You can see the stubble on Matt Baker's chiselled jaw behind cover whilst a sheep roams green pastures in the background. The UI is clean and sharp too.

Moving on to the gameplay, for those looking for a hyper-frenetic shooter LIKE Call of Duty look elsewhere. Never in my recent years as a gamer have I missed so often shooting at the enemy from behind cover, nor fired less bullets than my squad. All in the name of realism, you can't lift your head from behind cover long enough to look down your iron sight without enemies pounding on your position. Plus, your squads are nearly smart enough to do all the killing for you if you so wish. It's fun commanding the squads, and the game has cutscenes that develop ALL the characters in the ensemble, that you will give a damn whether they die or not this time. Good job, Gearbox, I remember in the first BiA, I just sent my men on suicide missions to test if a certain route is safe for myself or not. Only little niggle I have with this game is that violence and war seems glorified and dramatized, even amidst the realism, as opposed to gritty as Call of Duty tries to envision.

So far, so good. More info to come when I'm done with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...