Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

Now Playing: Fallout 3 - The Pitt and Broken Steel DLCs

"And war... war never changes." I love it when Ron Perlman goes all gruff and dramatic voice-actery (if there is ever such a word) for games like Fallout 3. It shows he is versatile from doing other er... gruff stuff like Hellboy.

Anyway, I have returned to the Wastelands in a bid to end the war with the Enclaves and visit a massive raiders encampment in Pittsburgh. The two highly-anticipated DLCs for Fallout 3 (the last two of three - the first being Operation Anchorage which looks really pointless) that promises more hours to waste for wanderers and also rewrites the controversial ending of the vanilla game, giving people the open-ended exploration that was so popular with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

I remember how much I loved Fallout 3. Having not played the first two games means I was not privy to the mind-blowing awesomeness that were the classics. People were bound to make heavy comparisons, and whether the latest one by Bethesda is in the likeness of the originals by Interplay. But personally, I thought it was a top-notch game in itself, and heavily improves on the RPG-lite elements that was in Oblivion. This was a game that truly allowed you to live a character based upon the choices you make, in the world and in your development.

But I'm here to talk a bit about the DLCs. Because I got into the DLCs late, I got both at the same time but wanted to play from the end of the my original game. This means that The Pitt will have to wait, whilst I traipse off to make the final push against the Enclave (the evil dudes in Fallout 3) in Broken Steel.

Having dropped off the game for about a month and a half now, at the very least, it took me awhile to get back into the system and the odd-but very well detailed graphics. VATs was very crazy to come back to, after having played hyper shooters like Brothers in Arms and Team Fortress 2. But it's still fun as ever to pop off heads and see it all cinematically (watch and learn, Gearbox, your system wasn't as spectacular in BiA: Hell's Highway).

But I found that that initial excitement I had in Fallout 3, at the immersive world and expansive play kinda' had disappeared in the period after I stopped playing. Coming back to it, now I found the long roams through the empty and desolate Wastelands rather tedious and depressing. Well, it was depressing when I played it the first time round, but at least then I was happy to be depressed by the atmosphere. Now, it's just plain daft.

But I'm going to give myself time to settle back into the intensity. The difficulty has certainly ramped up. The moment the game went "The level cap has increased from 20 to 30", I was like "uh-oh", and ran away from every Giant Scorpion I saw out in the open. Those things can really take your life down. Thankfully, I still have Fawkes, the intellectual super mutant good-guy with the big gun (kind of reminiscient of the Heavy in TF2), and he can soak up damage and shoot things down for me.

Broken Steel is quick to get into the thick of things, which is commendable. Instantly upon waking from unconsciousness after saving the world in the original, you are knighted a member of the Brotherhood of Steel and told to "go here, meet X guy". You, X-guy (not his actual name, but he's not important), and his squad take the fight with Liberty Prime (big giant good-guy robot that shouts "I would rather die that live in Communism") to the Enclave at some base, only to discover they have a mega-super-death orbital ray beam up their sleeve. You are tasked in tracking down the last of the bad guys before they use said weapon to eradicate all of humanity, or something to that effect.

And that's as far as I've gotten before I turned off the game and went back to the twitchy and skill-rewarding Team Fortress 2. BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Anyway, a proper review when I've finished both DLCs. There is a sense that the game could get pretty epic. And new skills to tinker with from level 20 to 30, yay! So far, it looks to me like the DLCs intended purpose is to keep fans playing and happy, but if you are curious but not entirely excited, there doesn't seem much else different from the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...